Ms. Devan McCarrie, Esq.
Former Delaware Journal of Corporate Law Staff Editor and External Managing Editor, Devan McCarrie, gives us some insight into her experience during law school and her career today.
- What was your position on Journal?
Staff Editor and then External Managing Editor
- Where did you receive your undergraduate degree and what area did you study?
I graduated from Quinnipiac University in 2018. I studied Legal Studies and Political Science.
- Where do you currently work?
I am an Associate at Blank Rome LLP.
- In what area of law do you practice?
My practice focuses on corporate and commercial litigation.
- What advice would you give to law students that you wish you had known in law school?
You don’t need to have everything figured out while in law school. Looking back, I felt a lot of pressure to decide where I wanted to practice, what I wanted to do, etc. At this stage, it is important to focus on doing things that will maximize your opportunities. Students should focus on doing well in law school classes, getting involved in organizations like Journal, and networking with practicing attorneys. Networking will hopefully lead to finding an attorney mentor that can help guide your journey. I had various mentors during my time in law school and found them to be invaluable.
- Aside from excelling academically and joining the Journal, what are some ways that students can stand out to secure job offers?
Don’t overlook the “Interests” section of your resume! Students should lean into their unique interests when applying and searching for jobs and be ready to present them in an authentic way.
- What are some lessons that you have learned during your professional career that will be valuable to current Journal members and recent Journal alumni?
Do not be afraid to ask for help if you are stuck. This profession can be very overwhelming, especially when you are new. It is important to find a person that can answer your “dumb questions.”
- What are your future plans?
For now, I am excited to develop as an Associate at Blank Rome. I have a lot to learn and am looking forward to working with more attorneys across the firm in various areas of the law.
- Outside of law, what are your interests?
I love to play golf & am currently an assistant coach of a local high school golf team. I enjoy travelling, being outdoors, and spending time with family and friends.